Often asked: Where Is Winterthur Museum?

What is Winterthur famous for?

Historically, Winterthur was one of the homes of Switzerland’s rail industry and an industrial centre, however the rail industry and other heavy industry have mostly shut down.

How big is Winterthur?

Winterthur is situated on 979 acres (396 ha), near Brandywine Creek, with 60 acres (24 ha) of naturalistic gardens. It had 2,500 acres (1,000 ha) and a premier dairy cattle herd when du Pont operated it as a country estate.

Who owned Winterthur?

History of Winterthur

1800 Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours, sons Victor Marie and Eleuthère Irénée, and their families arrive in America.
1867 Gen. Henry du Pont (brother of Evelina) purchases Winterthur from his nephew James Irénée Bidermann (son of Jacques and Evelina) for his own son Col. Henry Algernon du Pont.

When was Winterthur built?

From 1839 to 1969, four generations called Winterthur home. When Jacques Antoine and Evelina du Pont Bidermann built a home on their tract of land in northern Delaware, the small estate was named Winterthur after the small Swiss town where Jacques’ family was from. They were a prosperous couple.

Which country is Winterthur?

Winterthur, city, Zürich canton, northern Switzerland.

Who is Winterthur?

Axa Winterthur is a multinational insurance company. The original company named Winterthur was founded in Winterthur, Switzerland, in 1875. From 1997 to June 2006, Winterthur was a Credit Suisse (CS) subsidiary. Due to the takeover, Axa Insurance will take over the brand name and general supervision of the company.

You might be interested:  Question: What Is In The National Museum Of American History?

Who owns Longwood?

Many generations helped create Longwood Gardens, but Pierre du Pont – industrialist, conservationist, farmer, designer, impresario, and philanthropist – was to make the most enduring contribution.

How many acres is Longwood Gardens?

Pierre’s passion and vision created the groundwork for what is now Longwood Gardens—home to many spectacular botanical collections spread across 1,083 acres —all wonderfully maintained by a staff of 1,300 employees, students and volunteers.

Written by

Leave a Reply